Which deity presides menstruation in Hindu Dharma
So, these practices give a positive perceptionand add to this the fact thatThe Hindus consider their goddesses has menstruation and celebrate festivals in honour of them. There is a festival Kamakhya, well known festival in Assam. The Kamakhya festival, I think Ambubachi, it is called where the goddess undergo yearly menstruation for three days and she is given a rest.
In Odisha you have a festival for Harichandi called asRaja. The name itself is Raja, menstruation, in Odisha. And we have certain festivals occurs India for Bhoomidevi. Aarthi is considered going menstruation process for you know few days a year. It happens in Karnataka also.The Karnataka festival is called Kedassa in Tulu community. But who is the…,Is there a deity who presides our menstruation in Hindu Dharma? Yes, it is Parvathy or Durga.In fact, during the RitukalaSamskara that I spoke about the DharmaSindhu, the guidelines piece about doing a Pooja for Gowri, goddess Gowri and then we have Parvathi or Durga who is intimately connected to it. We just saw this Navaratri, the 9 days there are 9 deities, 9 forms of Durga right? Shailaputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, the first five forms are connected to 5 phases of a girl’s life.
- Shailaputri – the child,the daughter of the Mountain.
- Brahmacharini – Brahmacharya, the Kanya, she is the deity of menstruation. The menarche, she presides over it.
- Chandraghanta – is the marriage, she takes on the Chandra like her husband, Shiva because she marries him, becomes one with him, her Ardhangi the half. Then
- Kushmanda– Anda refers to the pregnancy, the Brahmanda, Kushmanda and the
- Skandamata – after the pregnancy comes motherhood.
So, this whole thing, there is a, the whole thing is a sacred process. It is a biological process. Yes, but it is also a sacred process. This is governed by various deities.